Progress… or not.

So I’m finally back again without any sickness, so I can finally pick up sewing again. I’ve returned to Truly Victorian‘s 1869 Grand Parlor skirt and have assembled all the pieces apart from the front. I’ve pleated the side pieces and I was just about to start the back part with the demi train when I suddenly became absolutely clueless of how to continue. How am I supposed to pleat all this fabric? Should I use a cartridge, box or regular knife pleat? Or should I just ruffle it with the sewing machine? I tried the latter but, as always, the thread ripped apart and all the ruffles were gone again. -.- God, I really hate it when that happens. I gave up for tonight and decided to ponder about it. If ruffling won’t work, I’ll try box pleating it. Wish me luck.

Victorian Bustle Era

Picking a Design is always the hardest

After finally finding the time to start my new blog, which has existed for many months already *ashamed*, my first thought was “yay, I can finally post something!”. Nuh-uh. The perfectionist that I am, I have wasted countless hours on deciding what Theme I should use for the design of my blog. You see, a long time ago, I was a frequent photoshop user and HTML programmer, so designing sites was my passion and I often used my talent to make my sites look pretty. Nevertheless as time passed I became a lazy bum and stopped using HTML altogether and wasn’t too keen on building up any new sites either. Now that I’m running a blog, I feel like kicking my past me since HTML knowledge could become quite handy here. Ah well…

Anyways, I would like to dedicate this blog to my sewing projects and I will start off with a comission for a lovely friend of mine. We’re both attending a LARP (Live Action Roleplay, in case you don’t know) which is set in the Victorian Age, 1889 to be exact. Historical accuracy is of course very welcome, but since not all of us can afford that, we’ve all been figuring out how to cheat a “Victorian look” with modern day clothes and accessories or other cheap costumes. To my friend’s fortune though, I agreed upon creating a dress for her, a 1873 polonaise. It’s not very accurate for 1889, but we really doubt that anyone is going to notice much.

We’ve completely left out making all the undergarments, since she’ll be using a modern corset and a bumroll from her old rokoko gown so I could immediately start sewing the important parts of the gown. I decided to begin with the skirt, using Truly Victorian‘s 1869 Grand Parlor Skirt pattern, which is just fabulous (as all of TV’s patterns). The great thing about this skirt is that my friend will also be able to use if for her ball gown since it has a demi-train in the back.  Oh, and there is an optional pocket for the skirt, so you can even take your phone with you!

We decided upon using 5 metres black silk taffeta, which was NOT cheap, and decorating it with ruffles at the bottom. I have already started cutting the fabric, but haven’t assembled the pieces yet, I got sick in the meantime. I hope I can take a few pictures during the process which I will be posting online, hopefully very soon.